TriCare or OWCP for a Veteran Injured Postal Worker?

An injured postal worker who is also a veteran likely qualifies for both TriCare and OWCP, but which one they should use depends on the specifics of their situation:

TriCare is the health insurance program for active duty service members, retirees, and their families. So, if the postal worker’s injury is service-related, they may be able to get treatment through TriCare.

OWCP (Office of Workers’ Compensation Programs) is a federal program that provides benefits to federal employees who are injured on the job. Since postal workers are federal employees, OWCP would likely cover the costs of medical treatment, lost wages, and other benefits.

Here’s a breakdown of some factors to consider:

  • Cause of injury: If the injury happened while on duty as a postal worker, OWCP would likely be the primary source of coverage. If the injury is service-related (from military service), TriCare may be applicable.
  • Severity of injury: Depending on the severity of the injury, OWCP might offer more comprehensive coverage, including vocational rehabilitation if needed.
  • Eligibility for TriCare: Not all veterans qualify for TriCare, especially if they served recently and were not activated for service during wartime.


The injured postal worker should consult with both the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) and the OWCP to determine which program best suits their needs.

Here are some resources that can help: